Deliciously rich Nutella, super-moist texture, buttery banana and brown sugar flavours, and an incredibly soft crumb- this is my favorite banana bread recipe so far!
I collated a few different recipes online to create a ‘best fit recipe’ for our family- minus me as I am REALLY not a fan of bananas, or Nutella as a matter of fact… that being said, everyone else really enjoyed it!
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115g) unsalted butter– softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (80g) plain yogurt or sour cream (I used Greek style yogurt)
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 medium ripe bananas)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 177°C.
- Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan or coat with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Whisk the flour and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar together on high speed until smooth and creamy, for roughly 2 minutes.
- On medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the yogurt, mashed bananas, and vanilla extract on medium speed until combined.
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no flour pockets remain-Do not overmix.
- Spoon half the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Nutella and swirl gently throughout the mixture.
- Spoon in the remaining half of the batter over and repeat with the final table spoon of Nutella- See pictures below for guidance if needed.
- Bake for 60 minutes- Loosely cover the bread with tinfoil after 30 minutes to help prevent the top and sides from getting too brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack.
- Cover and store banana bread at room temperature for 2 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- A toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf will come out clean when the bread is done.
- Banana bread tastes best on day 2 after the flavors have settled together
- Fancy Banana Bread Muffins? Use this banana bread recipe to make 2 dozen banana bread muffins. Pour the batter into a lined or greased muffin pan and bake for 5 minutes at 220°C then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 177°C. Bake for an additional 16-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The total bake time for the banana bread muffins is about 22-23 minutes. The initial burst of hot air helps those muffins rise nice and tall!
- Brown Sugar- Feel free to substitute the same amount of regular white granulated sugar or coconut sugar. It’s not recommended to use any liquid sweeteners.
- No Sour Cream or Yogurt? Feel free to use 1/3 cup mashed banana (in addition to the 2 cups), or unsweetened applesauce.
- Click here and here for links to the other banana bread recipes I used to create this recipe.