‘Fakeaway’s’ are the new weekend treat right?
These homemade Salt and Pepper chips are SO GOOD! You may be thinking, but what makes them ‘healthier’ though Shelley? These little beauties were made in our new air fryer! So why does this make them healthier? Air frying is healthier than frying in oil because it cuts calories by 70% to 80% and uses a lot less fat. It is also suggested that this cooking method can also cut down on some of the other harmful effects of oil frying.
To make this batch, we used a mix of a few recipes- those we had in mind from previous attempts in the past.
We did the following;
- 4-5 large floury potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- ½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Cut the potatoes into chunky chips or wedges
- Pre-heat air fryer (3 minute preparation time)
- Coat the potatoes in 2 tbsp of vegetable oil by stirring them in a bowl
- Chop your onions, pepper, garlic and chilli and add to your air fryer
- Now add all other remaining ingredients, along with your coated potatoes to the air fryer
- Set timer for 20 minutes
- Remove and shake your air fryer drawer every 5-10 minutes to ensure they cook evenly
- Remove from the air fryer and enjoy!
- These can be made without an air fryer using either a frying pan or a deep fat fryer
- If frying in a pan, part boil your potatoes first before frying everything else together in the pan.
- If using a deep fat fryer, fry your chips as normal before adding them to your fried veg and spices.
- We made Chinese garlic chicken to accompany ours this time, homemade curry sauce also goes really well with them too!
Buy our Ninja Air fryer here– Not gifted or sponsored